Sunday, June 16, 2013


College or Bust!!!!!

                                                    Adam N. Leonard : Author and Teacher
Crazy Roommates = Hell
So I had this  roommate whose nickname was "Booger." He was a trip. He used to stay up all night playing his drum set (which was next to my bed). It was a practice set which was not as loud as regular drums- but at 3:00 in the morning I still wanted to kill him. Then, he would tape blankets over the windows and sleep all day. I'd be at my desk doing my work with a flashlight at 3:00 in the afternoon! If I turned on the light he'd swear like a drunken sailor.

He had a beer bottle collection accumulating along the top of the wardrobe units in our dorm that completely covered 2 of the 4 walls. There must have been a hundred bottles or so. I thought nothing of it until one day i noticed that all the bottles were partially full of beer... I asked him about why he was keeping half full bottles of beer. He said, " That's not beer!" 

I was stumped... He chuckled at my obvious confusion. He continued, "I hate having to run all the way down the hall when I have to go to the bathroom, so...." 

You're probably thinking I'm making all this up- nope.

And perhaps his most bizarre quirk was that when he would drag himself home baked and drunk out of his mind- fubar to the extreme- then stumble down to the men's bathroom and take a shower- with his clothes on!! No fooling! I would come back to the dorm and he would be passed out on the floor or his bed completely soaked! He said his father had done the same in his college days and he was just carrying on the tradition!!
So- choose your dorm roommate wisely- or at least fill out the future roomate questionnaire  carefully!!
-Me in my dorm room-
Party Hardy! or Hardly Party?
College, college, college... oh the memories! Lots of fun. Too much fun perhaps.

No parents to tell you to get up in the morning. No parents to tell you to go to class. No parents to tell you to do your homework! Sounds awesome, huh?

Well, it kinda is- except a lot of kids don't get up in the morning, don't go to their classes, and guess what- don't do their homework. So all that freedom can be very cool- but only if you can handle it. I saw a lot of my friends drop out of college because they were having so much fun partying, taking road trips, and drinking that they forgot why they were there in the first place. It is easy to do.

So if I could give any advice to people heading to college or those there already it would be get your work done first and remember why you are there
All work and no play makes Johnny a very dull boy!
Well, I think even if you hated high school, you'll probably like college. It is a great time in your life. A time to be on your own. A time to do well and explore the career you will pursue. A time to meet all kinds of people from many different areas with different backgrounds. So make the most of it! Have some fun while you're there but also remember why you are there! Keep your grade point average high or what's the point? The job market is tough and you won't impress anyone with a "C" average. Try new things and start over in a way- no one knows you there (or not many) and you can have a fresh start!

Oh yeah, and bring lots of novels or download some on your kindle or whatever reader you have- nothing beats bouts of loneliness or home-sickness like a good book with cool characters to keep you company!
 

No comments:

Post a Comment