Friday, August 30, 2013

Driving me CRAZY!!

 

So, you have to be toted around by your mom.  Ouch. Can you say, lame? And please don't tell me that you go on a dates with your mom as a chaueffer.

I remember those days! Boy it's hard to be cool and tough when you can't drive.

Getting a license is like growing wings; it enables you to get up and go! Suddenly it is fun to just DRIVE! 

"Where?" you ask.
Anywhere!
Everywhere!
Who cares! Let's just hit the road...
 
ROAD TRIP!!
Ah, those were the days! I remember saving for two years to buy my first car. My boss was selling his SPITFIRE convertible... and I had saved enough cashola to buy it!

I wanted that car SO BADLY!! But my parents said, "NO!"
In fact, they told me I had to give the two thousand and some dollars (that I had washed dishes for 2 years to save) to them so they could buy me a SAFE car...
Of course, this, is what they bought me - with my own hard earned money!
Oh the Humanity!
A Station wagon? What were my parents thinking?
Well, I'm a parent now,  and I know exactly what they were thinking, "Dear Lord that boy is going to kill himself in that Spitfire!"
Maybe they were right- I probably would have driven too fast and who knows...
But a station wagon? Come on!!
A year or so later I bought a cool old '79 Ford 150- one of the chefs where I worked financed it for me. He even rebuilt the carborator for me (He put a few pieces in up-side-down, but I didn't hold it against him!).
I painted a skull in sunglasses smoking a cigarette on each door with smoke trailing down the side of the truck and turning into a screaming ghost!
I painted a skull and cross bones on all 4 hubcap covers...
Yes, it was hideous!
Hideously beautiful, that is!
I even wrote that truck into my novel, THE RIFT RIDERS!
Man I miss that old truck!



No comments:

Post a Comment